Sunday, November 15, 2015

I apologize for the lack of posts recently. I've been trying to decide the voice I want to take with this blog and how I want to share my experiences in Hong Kong with you all. I intend to focus on the different aspects of seafaring and my work here in future posts, but for now I just want let you know what the life of Andy Cameron has been like over the past 3 months in Hong Kong. Wow I've almost been here for a quarter of a year!

Well besides working with the Mission to Seafarers, I've tried to do things in Hong Kong to make it feel more like home. I've joined the local YMCA and play pick-up football ("soccer" for all of you Patriots who still believe American Football is the center of the sporting world, but that's a blog post for a different time) at least once a week to stay active and fit. On the weekends I try and explore the city or visit the beaches on the outskirts of the island. Being able to take a quick trip out of the city and enjoy the beautiful landscapes that the rest of Hong Kong offers has been a breath of fresh air. I love the city, but it can be very loud, busy, and sometimes overwhelming.

While working with the Mission to Seafarers takes up a lot of my time during the day, I have also tried to find other ways to serve and use my time practically as a missionary. A women who attends St John's Cathedral has asked MG and I to help with an After-School English Program. Twice a month MG and I help facilitate a course intended to strengthen the student's conversational English skills. The kids are middle-school aged and its hilarious to see them interact and become more comfortable with their language abilities. I've also began a bible study with a few friends. The reality is my christian community in Hong Kong is quite small and I have to be intentional to remind myself why I am here. I hope this bible study can become that reminder and also have some awesome conversations about spirituality with some of my close friends.

I've also began reading more and listening to podcasts (I know i'm so post-grad). Its pretty awesome to be able to read for pleasure and not have to think critically and annotate books like I did during my under-grad. Some podcasts that have kept me busy are You Made it Weird by Pete Holmes and Men in Blazers.  I highly suggest You Made it Weird. The comedian Pete Holmes interviews other comics and talks about their lives, relationships, and spirituality. Its equally hilarious and insightful. Men in Blazers is a weekly podcast that raps up the British Premier League weekend fixtures. If you're into football and British banter then I'd definitely recommend it. If there are any books or podcasts that you think I'd enjoy please let me know, I'm always up for new material!

Anyways, as I mentioned earlier, the purpose of this blog post is to give you a better perspective of what I've been up to recently. I've been in Hong Kong long enough to have a daily routine and it feels more like home every day. I know its been a while since my last post, but expect to here more from me soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment